Our most important concern is safety of our entire community (students, parents, staff and visitors). This year we have had a car damaged during our pick-up/drop-off times and too many close calls for our pedestrians. We acknowledge some of our families are coming from longer distances and prefer to drop their children off with their vehicle. Currently, there are too many vehicles entering the front of the school in a 15 minute period, before and after school. This volume and the behaviours of many drivers (listed below), have created a situation which is chaotic and at times unsafe.
How the area is designed:
The parking lot is designed for cars to enter and park in the stalls. It was never designed as a drop-off area the parking stalls are for Cliff Drive staff only. There are no parking stalls for visitors in the lot. There is only one parking space for drivers with a Disability pass.
What we have observed on a consistent basis:
- Drivers are parking in the fire lane.
- Drivers are dropping off and picking up in the fire lane.
- Drivers are parking in front of the office and entering the building to drop off items/lunch for students
- Children are exiting the vehicles and dodging the cars.
- Drivers are entering the School property with high speed.
Where we go now:
These guidelines aim to address the concerns above and create a plan for safe arrival and dismissal of all students, staff and members of our community wishing to enter the School.
Please remember your children are watching you follow or not follow these guidelines. It can be uncomfortable for everyone involved, if a staff member has to remind a driver of these guidelines; it is important that everyone sets an example of good citizenship for our students.
Thank you, in advance for your attention to this situation.
New Guidelines effective immediately:
- The parking lot is for staff only.
- There is parking on both sides of 12th Avenue and on Cliff Drive.
- There is also parking at the church.
- PLAYDATES: should be arranged before coming to school.
- If a child requires the drivers assistance to enter or exit the vehicle (including booster seats) and/or parent supervision walking to the building or class line-up, please park safely and give yourself extra time to walk to the campus. We are especially busy at 8:40-9:00am and 2:50-3:15pm.
- Whenever possible, walk or bike to school.
- Give yourself lots of time to arrive for the 8:55 first bell.